IHMJ2108 Planning a Survey (2 op)
This course will provide an overview planning a survey research. The following questions are considered during this course:
1) What kind of research questions call for survey? How should they be formulated so that a survey can reasonably answer them? Are there different types of survey for different types of research questions?
2) Does survey state some special requirements for its theoretical framework? What kind of framework is ideal for a survey?
3) What ontological and epistemological background assumptions are related to survey as a research method?
4) What kind of things about the analysis stage should be taken into consideration in the planning stage?
5) What should a researcher take into consideration when planning the timing of a survey?
6) When should a researcher choose a postal survey, when an online survey and when a personal interview survey?
7) How is a good literature review build for a survey?
By the end of this course, students should be able to planning a survey research.
Completion mode: Video lectures and exercises (online) combined with group work and workshop.
Sapsford, Roger: Survey Research (second edition). Sage, 2007. Pages 3-48