LACS1015 Online Cultures and Mediated Communication (5 op)
This course introduces the student to online media and technologically mediated communication in a multicultural world. The course addresses global media culture with specific attention on the questions of social and participatory media as communicative practices. Participants will be introduced to varied issues and perspectives in the study of both emerging media culture, as well as how existing cultural patterns are made relevant in online settings.
Lectures, course exam.
Passing the course requires completion of all required assignments in line with stated learning outcomes. An 80% attendance requirement is applied. Grade-specific assessment criteria are introduced in the course.
After completing the course the student will be able to
- recognize the significance of online communication and media from a sociocultural perspective
- identify the history and development of online communication and media from a global viewpoint
- recognize and critically evaluate how culture is (re)constructed in online communication and media
- identify ethical issues related to online communication and media.
Timing for LAGIC students: First year, spring term
- A selected set of articles.
Osallistuminen opetukseen (5 op)
Lectures, course exam