LACS1010 Introduction to Intercultural Communication (5 op)
The aim of this course is to introduce the approaches, developments and concepts of intercultural communication with a focus on interpersonal interaction. The course covers themes such as identity and stereotypes, migration and adaptation, and intercultural communication competence from a critical perspective. Students are supported in developing and applying alternative ways of approaching interculturality.
Lectures, group work, written assignment(s).
Passing the course requires completion of all required assignments in line with stated learning outcomes. An 80% attendance requirement is applied. Grade-specific assessment criteria are introduced in the course.
After completing the course the student will be able to
- understand and discuss fundamental issues in intercultural communication such as identification, othering or processes related to multilingual interaction
- understand culture and intercultural communication from a non-essentialist viewpoint
- identify power inequalities inherent in representations of interculturality.
- revise and apply theoretical concepts of intercultural communication to analyse own experiences in the social world
successfully collaborate in a diverse team
- work with and assess own intercultural competencies.
Suositus ajoituksesta: 2. vuosi journalistiikan ja viestinnän opiskelijoille, LAGIC- ja IMCO-opiskelijoille ensimmäisen vuoden syyslukukausi.
- A selected set of readings.
Osallistuminen opetukseen (5 op)
Lectures, group work, written assignments.