XENK002 Academic Reading and Communication Skills (3 op)
This course focuses on information management and evaluation, critical reading, and academic communication skills in English. During the course students will, among other tasks, deliver a presentation, work in teams, and read and discuss discipline-specific research. The coursework develops intercultural communication, peer- and self-assessment, terminology, and academic study skills as well as confidence in English and student’s ability to develop themselves further in one’s own field and future profession.
Classroom teaching, small group activities, self-access tasks
Compulsory and active participation. Successful completion of core assignments. Final grading is based on the applicable grading scale for the course.
- have developed academic study skills and strategies required for information management and evaluation (e.g. extensive and intensive reading; locating and evaluating information; etc.).
- critically evaluate texts and identify types of academic reporting and argumentation, as well as discipline specific conventions, concepts and terminology.
- recognize and adjust to intercultural differences in communication.
- communicate and interact competently in various formal and informal situations in both general and field-specific academic contexts as well as in professional situations, using a variety of strategies.
- work purposefully in teams, negotiating to complete tasks and presenting information clearly, concisely, and persuasively to others.
- prepare and deliver a well-structured and clear academic, professional presentation that follows internationally accepted norms and discipline specific conventions and terminology.
- discuss, summarise, synthesise, and formulate research information in their own words orally and in written form.
- direct, monitor, and assess their own and peer learning for the development of further skills and confidence.
Compulsory course for undergraduate degrees in the Education Sciences
TARGET GROUP: Second year students (and above) Compulsory course for undergraduate degrees in the Education Sciences