OJUP1030 Varieties of English (5 op)
Students take a closer look at different English-speaking countries and accompanying cultures
Explore different ways in which English as an international language has been theorized, politicized and experienced
Discuss the pedagogical implications of teaching an international language
Active participation in teaching, written task, reading material, group work activities, individual reflection
Active participation in course meetings and completion of the learning assignment/s.
Criteria for grades will be presented/agreed during the course.
• Recognize the way in which English has developed over time and across different geographical spaces
• Be sensitive to the role of English as an international language in different contexts
• Better appreciate the political nature of language education
• Critically consider how to address cultural issues when teaching foreign and additional languages
- Crystal, D. (2012). English as a global language. Cambridge University Press.; ISBN 9781139196970